What does it mean to be a member?
Kind members help keep the organization on track and accountable. While the organization believes in being accountable and transparent consistently throughout the year, the annual and special meetings of the members are the formal settings for the membership to get information, ask questions, and get answers.
Annual General Meetings are a legal requirement for non-profits and charities that must be held within 6 months of their fiscal year-end. Due to COVID-19 this rule has changed for the time being. Below is a list of some of the rights and responsibilities are given to the membership.
Upcoming Membership Meeting
Date: Saturday, July 25, 2020
Location: Zoom (online)
How do I register?
One simple step! Fill out this google form so we have some basic information for you. You can also get to the PayPal link from the form as well.
How much does it cost?
Currently there are 2 levels of members – volunteer and community.
What are my rights?
- At any meeting of the members, each member shall have the right to move, to second and to vote on any motion, resolution or proposal. (bylaw article 58)
- Any member may make a written request to access the current list of registered members for the purposes of requesting a Special Meeting. A minimum of 25% of registered members can make a written request to the Executive Committee to call a Special Meeting of Members. (bylaw article 55)
- Members shall receive written notice of any meeting of the membership of no less than 14 days and no more than 35 days. (bylaw article 51)
- Members may attend Board meetings as observers. Notice to the Chair, Recording Secretary or Executive Director is preferred to know accurate numbers for printed materials.
The Bylaws in full can be found here.
What are my responsibilities?
- Members must ensure that they keep their membership in good standing.
- Members are responsible for reviewing meeting materials when they are made available and to contact the Recording Secretary if there is a need for clarification before the meeting or to have an item added to the agenda.
- Voting members must pay their fees or completed the required hours 30 days prior to any Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting. Memberships expire immediately following the Annual General Meeting, at which time the new membership year commences. (You can make online payments through our PayPal link or by sending an e-transfer to Carling at email@example.com.)