What does it mean to be a member?
Kind members help keep the organization on track and accountable. While the organization believes in being accountable and transparent consistently throughout the year, the annual and special meetings of the members are the formal settings for the membership to get information, ask questions, and get answers.
Annual General Meetings are a legal requirement for non-profits and charities that must be held within 6 months of their fiscal year-end. Below is a list of some of the rights and responsibilities are given to the membership.
Upcoming Membership Meetings
Date: Saturday, January 4, 2022
Location: Hybrid (at Kind Space and via Zoom)
How do I register?
One easy step. Fill out the application form here: https://kindspace.typeform.com/to/ONmzzDDa
What are the categories of membership?
As of November 29, 2020, there are 5 levels of membership:
- Board and staff members
- Volunteer with the organization (includes student placements)
- Individuals (this includes supporters, donors, and those attending drop-in programs)
- Participate in a registered program or event (anything you signed up in advance for or joined one of our Discord servers)
- Represent a 2SLGBTQ+ community group or registered non-profit located in Ottawa, ON.
What are my rights?
- At any meeting of the members, each member shall have the right to move, to second and to vote on any motion, resolution or proposal.
- Any member may make a written request to access the current list of registered members for the purposes of requesting a Special Meeting. A minimum of 25% of registered members can make a written request to the Board of Directors to call a Special Meeting of Members.
- Members shall receive written notice of any meeting of the membership of no less than 14 days.
- Members may attend Board meetings as observers. Notice to the Board of Directors or Executive Director is preferred to know for the distribution of materials.
The Bylaws in full can be found here.
What are my responsibilities?
- Members must ensure that they keep their membership in good standing.
- Members are responsible for reviewing meeting materials when they are made available and to contact the Board or Executive Director if there is a need for clarification before the meeting or to have an item added to the agenda.
- Members must be registered 14 days in advance of membership meetings. Memberships expire immediately following the Annual General Meeting, at which time the new membership year commences.